Monday, September 26, 2011

Where is Wisdom?

Where can I find wisdom when I need it?  




I've been told that I put myself in some precarious positions once in a while, places where I might be in danger (like when I went to the Dominican Republic for a wedding that I was to officiate my husband forbid me from going to the other side- to Haiti- on my own because he could see it in my eyes that I would want to do something about the earthquake that had just struck there) . . . I can't help myself, I gravitate toward the lost and dejected and sometimes it gets me into strange situations. . .nothing wise about that I guess.  In college I used to walk back to my dorm from the library at midnight all by myself.  I'd say "no" to volunteer security people.  What do I need them for?  One day in the Kroger parking lot there was a couple arguing and the man kept threatening the woman so I stayed right there, about 50 feet away and watched, thinking to myself, "If he goes after her he is going to have me to deal with."  Stupid, huh?


I rarely fear for my own safety, perhaps I think I'm invincible.  I know I'm not, but I trust that when it's my time then it's my time.  So I wonder in all of my foolishness. . .
Is it even possible to search for wisdom?  Or is it something that we just happen upon?  Is there a way to acquire it for ourselves?  Or do life's lessons do the work for us in this department?  


There are those in my life that I look at and admire for their great wisdom.  They have been through much and have processed it and used it to their advantage when another situation presents itself.  They seem to know the answers or at least are willing to let things go as they will, let life unfold without grasping at it too hard or too fast.  Maybe I will never be considered wise, if wisdom means being careful and safe. . . but maybe, just maybe, it's my trust in God that gets me into these situations where people close to me might call me "foolish."  I don't mean walking home alone late at night, I mean being with people who are in need of something I have to offer.  Encouragement, hope, direction, prayer, peace, comfort.  


So then, as I look for wisdom, here's what God says about it in the book of Job:


Job 20:28 Where then does wisdom come from? Where does understanding dwell? 
21 It is hidden from the eyes of every living thing, concealed even from the birds in the sky. 22 Destruction and Death say, “Only a rumor of it has reached our ears.” 23 God understands the way to it and he alone knows where it dwells,24 for he views the ends of the earth and sees everything under the heavens. 25 When he established the force of the wind and measured out the waters, 26 when he made a decree for the rain and a path for the thunderstorm,27 then he looked at wisdom and appraised it; he confirmed it and tested it. 28 And he said to the human race, “The fear of the Lord—that is wisdom, and to shun evil is understanding.”


God has enough wisdom for me. . . I'll just rely on him.  Amen.



1 comment:

  1. I look at the full page view of this blog and I see the answer to your question: where do I find wisdom? I am convinced that as we suffer (as we live at the foot of the cross) God reaches out to us imparting an eventual understanding of how our pain can become strength and how our wounds become sources of healing balm. When we serve others rooted in the strength, the hope and the healing that has emerged throughout our life (paying attention to God's presence in the midst of our struggles) we serve with integrity and yes, wisdom! So.... although the Chinese script for wisdom is an appropriate graphic, the other image, of the Cross, points to the source of Wisdom!

    ReplyDelete