Friday, September 2, 2011

Class rings, Homecoming, and Varsity Swimming

I'm having a moment of panic here.  My baby boy is now just a hair shorter than me, about to overtake me in a moment's notice and that's no small feat because I'm 6'1". . . and he just turned 14.  How did I get so old to have a child in high school?  Oh, I remember high school, that's why I'm scared!

He still puts his arms around me and hugs me, and I know that's going to come to an end soon. . . please don't let it come soon!  He's looking at class rings, "What should I put on the side?"  His friends are planning homecoming after parties, at least I know the parents, they are good friends of ours.  In a couple months high school swimming starts. . . he's been swimming since the age of seven, it's what we've been working up to all these years so what's my deal?

Perhaps I'm having a moment of ontological shock.  There was a time when I didn't exist and there will be a time when I exist no longer. . . at least in the way that I do now.  And having my first born in high school makes me think I'm getting closer to that moment. . . plus another birthday right around the corner. I'm living in the moment but the moments are going by so fast it seems.  I have no idea what's coming around the bend but I'm hopeful. . . I know God is walking with us on this journey.  At times I can't wait to see what he will do, what he will be when he grows up, where he will go to college, what adventures he will find. . . and then other times I wish I could have him back wrapped up in his baby blanket, sleeping on my chest every afternoon watching Lady and the Tramp (that's our movie!).

But, I know, I can't stop time.  It never goes the way I want it to, either too fast or too slow.  But I am doing my best to live in the moment, to be happy with what I have, not with what I don't and to enjoy every day I have with my family.  If I'm lucky, with this birthday, I will be only halfway finished with this life and have the best half to come.

Have a blessed day!  Enjoy all of your special moments too knowing that God is right there beside you all the way!

Shalom.
amy

No comments:

Post a Comment