Saturday, September 3, 2011

This is not a cheerful post. . .

Warning: This is not a cheerful post 
so if you want to be cheered up. . . don't read it!  

I am mad!  Pissed off, angry, upset, sick. . . SICK to death of EVIL!
My husband told me this morning while we were on our daily walk with our yellow labrador retriever, Martin Luther, that a 2 year old yellow lab was beaten to death by some kids.  Immediately, I felt like I would throw up right there on the bike trail.  A wave of nausea swept over me like it usually does in the presence (or even suggestion) of evil.

From the Norwalk Reflector:
Yellow Lab Beaten to Death

I never really understood all of you dog owners, how you would baby your pups, snuggle with them, act like they were another son or daughter until Noah was in fourth grade and he kept begging for a black lab. His piano teacher has a black lab, sweetest dog ever named Sadie and that dog took a liking to Noah during weekly piano lessons.  So one day when my dad was visiting me we went to the dog pound, just to "see."  As we walked back into the kennel the cacophony of barking began and there was a black lab behind bars going wild trying to get my attention.  But then on the other side of the kennel was a sweet yellow lab, about six months old, who did not make a peep, he looked up at me with his big brown eyes and it was instant attraction.  It was like he picked me!  

Needless to say that pup came home with me that day and he's been mine ever since.  (By the way when Noah saw him he said, "I wanted a black lab!)  I love this dog!  He sits at my feet when I write and puts his head on my lap when he wants me for something.  He is Mr. Faithful to me, Jeff, and the kids.  That's how labs are. . . they are loyal and sweet and lovable.  So why the hell (Excusez ma Francaise s'il vous plait!) would anyone beat a beautiful dog to death?  I simply don't understand this kind of evil- not that I understand any kind of evil- but this is absolutely sickening!

This is one of the great questions of human existence: Why is there evil?  And further, What is God going to do about it?  I don't have that answer for you, many have asked me and I always come up short.  I simply don't know. . . has something to do with sin though.  All I know is that even in the midst of such horror, God was with that dog. I believe this with all my heart because I believe that God cares for all living creatures!  Labs included!  And I also believe that God grieves this kind of violence, pain and suffering.

I pray for those kids who did this because they are going down a path that is not good. . . it can only lead to worse things than this if God doesn't get ahold of them soon!  So, I pray that God would turn their hearts toward the holy so they can see that even dogs are cherished, valuable and worthy of being treated with kindness and love.  And maybe, just maybe, they would come to know that they are cherished, loved and worthy of Christ's love. . . for while we were still sinners, Christ died for us!  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment