Friday, September 23, 2011

The emotion that sounds evoke. . .

I live about 200 meters from a set of railroad tracks.  Almost every day I walk along those tracks with my dog, Martin Luther, because there is a bike trail that sits parallel to them.  I cannot see these tracks from my house but periodically throughout the day I hear the train whistle and the rush of the cars over the tracks. It has a certain cadence that is soothing. . . the thump thump as the cars pass over the flexible portions of steel rails.   For some reason, unbeknownst to me, I love the sound the trains make as they pass by.  I hear them in the night and and it makes me happy. . . I hear them in the day and it gives me peace.  Maybe it's because my maternal grandparents also lived right next to a train track when I was growing up and being at their house was a source of comfort and peace.  Maybe it's because my brother used to create elaborate model train configurations in our basement when we were growing up and I thought he was so creative and amazing.  (Still do, Rob, by the way.)  But for whatever deep seated reason, the sound of train whistles comforts me.



I also like the sound of wind chimes.  I have one on my front porch that was given to me this past year by my secret sister.  I love the tinkling of the pipes as they blow in the breeze.  It lifts my spirit, it gives me a surge of hope.  It reminds of the gentle breeze of the Holy Spirit blowing through my life.  When I sit in my teak rocking chair on the front porch with book in hand, watching the world go by, it is the wind chimes that are the soundtrack of peace for me.



Mostly though, I love the sound of my own name on the lips of those who love me.  "Mommy," "Mama," do that when my kids call for me.   I know they love me when they try to get my attention, "Mama. . . I need such and such, or did you know fill in the blank."  I think there's an emotional response for us when God says each of our names. . . he speaks them to us in tenderness and compassion, with adoration and affection;  they are like music on the divine lips.  The utterance of our name by our heavenly Father stirs us to a deeper connection with the one who created us, who loves us and sustains us with his mercy and grace.  No sweeter sound has even been heard than our name spoken by God in love.


But now, God's Message, the God who made you in the first place, Jacob, the One who got you started, Israel:"Don't be afraid, I've redeemed you. I've called your name. You're mine."-- Isaiah 43:1 (The Message)

What other sounds create a positive emotion inside of you?  Do you notice them and stop to reflect?

No comments:

Post a Comment