Thursday, December 8, 2011

Small Town Relationships

Have I mentioned to you before how much I love coaching track?  Probably have.  I think I have finally convinced my husband that I "have" to do it. . . it's just who I am.  He has given up any negotiations about it!  (Good man!)

Indoor track has begun. . . it's not really a season per se. . . it's a little extra time for the few kids who aren't in a winter sport.  We will go to a few meets here and there but the real work happens in the spring, of course.  So in the midst of Advent. . . a very busy time for a pastor, I get the joy of heading down to the school on Wednesdays to hang out with my runners.  As I get a little overwhelmed with all of the tasks of Advent and Christmas, of programs and decorating and worship services and charity collections, I get to see the teenagers who share with me a love for running and jumping.  I love seeing them.  They make me smile-- they make me laugh!  I think they might just like me too because one of them said yesterday that he wanted to listen to the music that I have on my iPod, rather than what he had on his.  Imagine that!  See, this is what I've been talking about!!  Showing interest in other people's interests is the highest form of praise and affection.  I am happy to listen to their music in the weight room, though usually I have to ask them, "Who is this?"  But they are happy to tell me, keep me up to date on what is cool, dontcha know!?

Anyway, what does this have to do with spirituality or faith you might wonder.  Simply put:  It's about relationships.  It's about being present to one another.  If we are to accompany one another on this journey of faith and life then we have to attend to being present with one another.  That happens in many ways from hanging out in the coffee shop and greeting people as they come in to get their cup of joe (that's where I am right now by the way), or attending basketball games where the kids compete and pal around, to checking out what they are saying on their Facebook pages so you know if they are doing alright, to asking  them what songs they have on their iPods.  It's not rocket science you know. . . it's good old fashioned connecting.  And it means a lot, just ask any teenager how many adults they have in their lives who care about them that aren't related to them and see what they say!



So, I want to know, what's on your iPod?

Have a blessed day,
Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment