Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Eleven Things I Learned or Relearned in 2011. . .

We are always learning. As human beings that process of growth, discernment and maturity never stops.  I truly am glad for that because I love to learn, not just informational kinds of things but learn about God, myself, the world, the church and whatever else comes along.  I enjoy learning from others and learning about them.  I am truly blessed to have just celebrated my tenth Christmas with the good people of Trinity Lutheran Church in Monroeville, Ohio.  I have learned much from them. . . they may have learned a thing or two from me as well.

I was challenged to race all the kids on our mission trip one afternoon!

The year 2011 was a rather difficult one for me and for the parish I serve; 2010 wasn't all that easy either!  But we survived. . . in fact we did more than survive---- We THRIVED! We experienced more change in one calendar year than it would seem any church could possibly handle without imploding.  But the congregation managed it with grace and a quiet calmness.  Any sort of change can rock the proverbial boat, even positive change. . . but somehow we managed our collective anxiety and are all the better for it.  Let me tell you some of the changes we endured as a congregation: a capital campaign for a new Rodgers organ, painting of the sanctuary with a burgundy back wall in the chancel (gorgeous, but radical!), installation of the new organ, moving our affiliation from one Lutheran denomination to another (major, major stressful change), growth of the congregation by 15% which included many baptisms and receptions for new members along the way. . . wonderful, yes, but anxiety producing as well.

So I learned or relearned many things this past year.  As 2011 comes to a close, I look forward to 2012, hoping that it will be a little more "boring" in terms of change, but in general for those who know me- you know I don't do boring very well so it might be an empty sort of wish!  But I know there will be much to learn: about love, life and what God is up to all around us!

Here goes- my list of 11 things (there could probably be more but 11 is good enough for today), in no particular order of importance:

1) LOVE is fragile: nurture it, hold it gently, give it away-- freely, without reservation and no strings attached.  It will come back to you, I promise!

2) True friends will ALWAYS be there for you when you need them and you know exactly who they are!  They accept you for YOU even when they disagree with you. (I love you, my kindred spirits!)

3) Be there for the most important people in your life-- YOUR KIDS!  Be there no matter what!  Once you give birth to them (or are in the delivery room when they arrive) you must put their needs and wellbeing before your own. Period. No exceptions. End of discussion.

4) Have Fun! Whatever you do, have fun and laugh, even when you are stressed!  Laughing makes your brain kick out endorphins which are good for you.

5) Stand up for what you believe in, even if it causes you grief, even if others don't like it.  You have to be satisfied with yourself when all is said and done.

6) Always keep moving- exercise gets your brain to kick out endorphins which are good for you.  See a theme?  I like endorphins!  They make you feel better about life.

7) Eat at home more often, together at the kitchen table.  It's cheaper, healthier and allows you to actually talk to your family and find out what's going on in their lives.

8) Spend time with your spouse, stay connected to one another.  If you want to make it to 50 years, which is a very long time, it happens one day at a time.

9) Give 110% at your work (whether that is as a stay at home mom, a volunteer, or a paid employee).  When you work with people, give them yourself too.  If you are going to serve others then be available to them emotionally as well.  That's how lives are changed.

10) Be grateful!  Enough said.

11) Pray. Pray! And Pray some more!!  Your Father in heaven wants you to take to Him your deepest felt needs and if you are a Christian then you are commanded to pray.  (That would be a paraphrase of our dear Martin Luther.)

And one more if I might, for 2012----
12) Listen to music, lots of it.  Feel it.  Dwell in it.  Dance to it.  Hear the messages that are good and discard the bad ones.  You never know when you will be inspired by someone else's thoughts.  This past year the song that kept me going was one from when my oldest child was a baby, from the movie Prince of Egypt,  When You Believe. Specifically the line that is repeated over and over is what held my imagination,"There can be miracles when you believe, though hope is frail, it's hard to kill."  Hope is frail, but oh boy is it hard to squash.  So in 2012, keep hope alive.  God bless!  Leave me a comment if you like!

Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment