Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Christ is NO Sheriff!

Christ is NO Sheriff!

Kinda catchy, isn't it?  Martin Luther said that in his commentary on Galatians (1538).  Think about it. . . what does a sheriff or any other law enforcement officer do for the community?  Hold people accountable for transgressing the law, right?  It's their job; sometimes it seems like they enjoy it all too much- handing out tickets to speeders, waiting and watching in obscure locations that are not exactly out of sight, but if you don't know the lay of the land you won't see their patrol cars until it is much too late!

I have never gotten a warning from a police officer before when I have been going too fast, that is until last Saturday.  When I first came to Monroeville I got three tickets in about 18 months.  That was nine years ago and I have slowed down considerably since then, but on Saturday we were very busy with cleaning, cooking for company, and I had to get our son to swim practice and back before our friends arrived.  So, I was going 35 in a 25 mph zone.  As soon as I saw him I knew he had me!  I just pulled over and waited.  "Another 90 bucks down the drain," I said to myself.  Darn it!  But alas, for the very first time in the history of Amy Christine Fisher Little. . . I received a friendly warning.  Imagine my surprise as something different happened from my previous experiences!  Relief. Gratitude. A heartfelt smile and "thank you" and before he could say it to me I said to him, "I will slow down, Sir!"

In Luther's commentary on Galatians, he takes up Paul's argument about the efficacy of Justification by Grace through Faith and how human desire to work our way into God's grace is unacceptable, "to seek Justification by works of the law is to reject the grace of God.  I ask you, what sin can be more horrible than to reject the grace of God, and to refuse the righteousness of Christ?. . . There is no sin which Paul and the other apostles detested more than when a person despises the grace of God in Christ Jesus.  Still there is no sin more common."  

Christ is NO sheriff!

He is our Savior, not our accuser.  He is the lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world, not the officer who comes after us, lights flashing, sirens blowing, engines racing to track us down and give us a ticket, or worse assign us to prison.  Christ is our freedom.  Christ is our refuge.  Christ is our forgiveness.

We are called, as ones who believe, to accept this free gift of grace without protest, without adding to it, without helping it along.  Just say "yes" to his love in your life.  It's as simple as that friends!

Be blessed today and always!
Amy

Image credit:uncyclopedia.wikia.com

1 comment:

  1. Good post, lead foot! When I see an police officer I will remember the point of your story. (You should take some cookies over to the station so those guys remember to be kind again the next time :)

    ReplyDelete