Friday, August 26, 2011

Faith, once again, gets shoved to the background. . .

CNN Reports No Clergy will be Present at 9/11 Commemoration

The clergy were right there with the victims of 9/11, for months even years afterwards, but they have no place at the 10th Anniversary commemoration of 9/11.  I know several pastors from the New York City area who did serious, intensive counseling with victims, firefighters, police and other rescue persons after the greatest tragedy on American soil happened.  But do you think the Mayor of New York would consider inviting them to this milestone event?  Apparently not!  The dilemma according this report from CNN is "Who will get to be there?"  "How will we ever choose?"

It doesn't matter WHO!  As clergy know this is not a competition. . . it's not about which one of the local pastors would get the distinct honor of offering a prayer. . . we are all in this together so if one clergy person gets to be there then we are happily represented.  It simply makes no difference, it just doesn't matter if you're Presbyterian, Lutheran, Catholic, Wesleyan or whatever tribe you're from-- just let someone be there to offer a prayer-- OUT LOUD.  Furthermore invite a Rabbi and an Imam . . .  I don't care. . . just invite someone. (Or is the issue that it keeps extending on and on and on?  Even if it is. . . make a decision to include someone who considers themselves to be religious!)

This, like so many moments in human life, is about a ministry of presence.  No one will remember exactly what was said by the person who offers a prayer but they will remember that someone did.  They will remember that the event was couched in a deep reverence for the holy, an assent to the divine presence.  Silence is great but audible prayer in a time like this seems incredibly important.  But once again, the realm of "faith" gets pushed to the background. . . relegated to obscurity. . . cast into the category of irrelevance.

But here's the thing. . . even if the Mayor of New York seeks to keep "religion" and "faith" out of this ceremony (and I hope he changes his mind), he cannot keep the Lord away.  No one can keep God from showing up!  He's already there and has been there since the first airplane circled the World Trade Centers, before that he was there, he's always been there. Society can be hostile to religion but it cannot keep God from being God! And, God is a God of being there!  Society, Government, Culture (or whoever) cannot wish the Creator of the universe out of existence.

Wouldn't it be great if all the faithful who gather that day would quietly whisper their prayers, not to disturb the moment, but to let others know that they are praying to the God who never leaves us?  It doesn't have to be someone who is ordained. . . we are all capable of praying. . . and God hears all of our prayers. . . none are more important than another.


I love you, LORD, my strength.
  The LORD is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer;
   my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge,
   my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold.     (Psalm 18)

1 comment:

  1. I think this is a typical manifestation of our (American) illusion of self-reliance. I don't know about you, but I plan to lift up fervent prayers on that day during the hour of the "commemoration". I want to remember that nothing can separate us from the love of God in Christ. I want to remember that God embraced the dying in the moment of their suffering. I want to confess that I don't understand how any of that works. I want to proclaim that I will never, ever forget that the statements of faith are absolutely true. I will bet my life upon and I will rest in death in God's promises.

    ReplyDelete