Friday, August 12, 2011

Change, even positive change, can be a bit overwhelming!

Matthew 28: 18-20
"Jesus, undeterred, went right ahead and gave his charge: "God authorized and commanded me to commission you: Go out and train everyone you meet, far and near, in this way of life, marking them by baptism in the threefold name: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. Then instruct them in the practice of all I have commanded you. I'll be with you as you do this, day after day after day, right up to the end of the age."


It's a new beginning.  A new church.  A new opportunity to get down to basics and serve the Lord with heart, soul, mind and strength.  I'm talking about the fact that I am now a pastor in the North American Lutheran Church and within days will no longer be affiliated with the church of my youth, the ELCA.  This post is not to discuss the myriad reasons why this came about, simply to say that even though a change is good, hope filled, Spirit filled, Spirit led. . . it can still be a little overwhelming.  


You know how that is-- a new baby-- very good change!
A new job-- fantastic opportunity for growth and career.
A new home-- with new closets, cupboards, and curtains.
But it is change nonetheless. 
I've written before on this blog about how one can not expect change to happen in a vacuum.  Whenever there is one change, we can expect change in other realms of our lives.  Isaac Newton said it like this, "For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. . ."  


So, I wait. . . and cling to the cross of Jesus who promised to be faithful to this task of disciple making, baptizing and good news preaching.  He also promised that he would NEVER leave us!  Therein  lies the best news of the day.  The Christ who lived and died, rose from the dead, ascended into heaven, the Christ who will come again is the same yesterday, today and forever.  There's a constant we can rely on in the sea of change.  So I tell myself, "Shhh, be still, don't get overwhelmed by all the change, even though you're happy about it. . . just BE."  (It's hard for me to BE.  I know that and so I'm working on it!)  Just BE present, to the moment, to self, but ultimately to CHRIST!  


Whatever is changing in your life. . . just BE.
Whatever is moving in your being. . . just BE.
Whatever is adapting, transforming, whatever is being reworked, remodeled, or refined. . . just BE.  And know that Christ is with you always, even to the end of the age. Amen.


Image credit: ideachampions.com

No comments:

Post a Comment