Thursday, April 5, 2012

Walking Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death. . .

Psalm 23

A psalm of David.
 1 The LORD is my shepherd, I lack nothing.
 2 He makes me lie down in green pastures,
he leads me beside quiet waters,
 3 he refreshes my soul.
He guides me along the right paths
   for his name’s sake.
4 Even though I walk
   through the darkest valley,
I will fear no evil,
   for you are with me;
your rod and your staff,
   they comfort me.
 5 You prepare a table before me
   in the presence of my enemies.
You anoint my head with oil;
   my cup overflows.
6 Surely your goodness and love will follow me
   all the days of my life,
and I will dwell in the house of the LORD
   forever.


Last night in worship we sang the hymn I Want Jesus to Walk with Me. . . 
I want Jesus to walk with me, all along my pilgrim's journey, O Lord I want Jesus, to walk with me!  In my trials, Lord walk with me. . . . when my heart is almost breaking, Lord I want Jesus to walk with me.  When I'm in trouble, Lord walk with me. . . when my head is bowed in sorrow, O Lord I want Jesus to walk with me.

We sing it. . . loudly even. . . like we really mean it, especially when all is well and good and right with the world.  But do we remember our song when life comes crashing in on us, seeking to steal our peace and leaving us in a heap of tears and weeping?  Do we sing it when out of left field something terrible happens and we are reduced to doubt and despair?

Yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death for you are with me!  
When you walk through the fire you will not get burned! 
(Oh yeah?  That looks like a burn mark there, Father.)  
Perhaps, but remember what I have done for you, how I created the world with a word and how THE WORD experienced the same pain, suffering, degradation, annihilation, and death that you are walking through right now--- and on the third day he rose again! And on the third day he rose again!  Death, where is thy victory? Oh death, where is thy sting?  The wages of sin is death but thanks be to God who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.  

This suffering is but for a moment, God's love for us is forever!  Through every horrific experience, through emotions we don't know how to handle, through answers that never seem to come, for love that seems to do no good, through questions that never manage to leave our lips. . . God's love is forever!  God's love was nailed to the tree and destroyed, but that was not the end of the story!  God's love was so powerful, so perfect, so fully present that it could not be squelched- NOT EVER!  

You, my friends, are loved like that!  Completely and forever! Christ Jesus, our Lord and Savior, loves you that much! Close your eyes and feel it. Don't doubt it!  Sink into it. . . trust it. . . it is FOR YOU, for always!

No comments:

Post a Comment