Tuesday, April 3, 2012

The Invisible Christ

Philippians 2:9Therefore God also highly exalted him and gave him 
the name that is above every name, 10so that at the name of Jesus 
every knee should bend, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, 
11and every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the 
glory of God the Father. 12Therefore, my beloved, just as you have 
always obeyed me, not only in my presence, but much more 
now in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and 
trembling; 13for it is God who is at work in you, enabling you both 
to will and to work for his good pleasure.

So often, it seems, I find myself talking to Jesus and wishing that I 
could see him.  Do you think that Jesus understands that we don't 
always see him and that it gets tough sometimes to follow what we 
cannot see?  

What a delightful thought to be like the woman at the well who had 
the magnificent opportunity to sit with Jesus and just talk; talk about 
life, love, the future.  (John 4)   Intellectually I know that Jesus is with 
me always but sometimes his presence is harder to detect than others.  
Holy Week seems particularly difficult for me this year for some reason.  
In the past I have found  myself weeping at my desk as I create the bulletins 
for Maundy Thursday and Good Friday.  The liturgy is so moving and draws
 me so close to the heart of God.  As of the time I am writing this, I still have
 yet to finish the Good Friday bulletin- I have no idea what is holding me back 
from what should be a very simple task.  
Maybe it is the words of the Solemn Reproaches 
ringing in my ears.  The words that bring me to tears- each year 
choking them out in worship: 

O my people, O my church, what have I done to you? How have I offended you? 
Answer me! 
I led you out of slavery into freedom, and delivered you through the waters of rebirth, 
but you have prepared a cross for your Savior.
C Holy God, holy and mighty, holy and immortal, have mercy on us.
Forty years I led you through the desert, feeding you with manna on the way; I saved 

you from the time of trial and gave you my body, the bread of heaven, but you have 
prepared a cross for your Savior.
C Holy God, holy and mighty, holy and immortal, have mercy on us.
I led you on your way in a pillar of cloud and fire, but you led me to the judgment 

hall of Pilate; I guided you with the light of the Holy Spirit, but you have prepared
 a cross for your Savior.
C Holy God, holy and mighty, holy and immortal, have mercy on us.
I planted you as my fairest vine, but you have brought forth biter fruit; I made you 

branches of the vine and never left your side, but you have prepared a cross for 
your Savior.
C Holy God, holy and mighty, holy and immortal, have mercy on us.
O my people, O my church, what more could I have done for you? Answer me! 

I poured out saving water from the rock, but you gave me vinegar to drink; 
I poured out my life and gave you the new covenant in my blood, but you have 
prepared a cross for your Savior.
C Holy God, holy and mighty, holy and immortal, have mercy on us.
O my people, O my church, what more could I have done for you? Answer me! 

I gave you a royal scepter, but you gave me a crown of thorns; I gave you the 
kingdom and crowned you with eternal life, but you have prepared a cross for 
your Savior.
C Holy God, holy and mighty, holy and immortal, have mercy on us.
I struck down your enemies, but you struck my head with a reed; I gave you my

 peace, but you draw the sword in my name, and you have prepared a cross for 
your Savior.
C Holy God, holy and mighty, holy and immortal, have mercy on us.
I opened the waters to lead you to the promised land, but you opened my side 

with a spear; I washed your feet as a sign of my love, but you have prepared 
a cross for your Savior.
C Holy God, holy and mighty, holy and immortal, have mercy on us.
 O my people, O my church, what more could I have down for you? Answer me! 
I lifted you up to the heights, but you lifted me high on a cross; I raised you from 
death and prepared for you the tree of life, but you have prepared a cross for your 
Savior.
C Holy God, holy and mighty, holy and immortal, have mercy on us.
I grafted you into my people Israel, but you made them scapegoats for your own guilt,

 and you have prepared a cross for your Savior.
C Holy God, holy and mighty, holy and immortal, have mercy on us.
 I came to you in the least of your brothers and sisters, but I was hungry and you gave 
me no food, thirsty and you gave me no drink, a stranger and you did not welcome me,
 naked and you did not clothe me, sick and in prison and you did not visit me, and you 
have prepared a cross for your Savior.
C Holy God, holy and mighty, holy and immortal, have mercy on us.

Maybe I'm just tired, weary, broken, and clinging to the cross.  But I want 
to see Jesus!  I want to know his love and forgiveness.  He's here somewhere. . . perhaps in plain sight, perhaps a bit like this bumblebee I caught with my 
camera the other day. . . hidden in the beauty of nature, hidden in plain sight, hidden and yet fully visible if one is willing to open their eyes and look.  
How are you seeing Jesus this week?  How are you detecting his presence
 in your life as we make this journey to the cross?  


Prayer for today: Open my eyes Lord so I can see you more clearly this day and this week as you suffered and died for my sins and for the sins of all humanity.  Make your holy presence known to me in my spiritual blindness.  I know you are there, reveal yourself to me.  Bless me with your light and your love and draw out of despair and into hope and peace. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment