Friday, July 29, 2011

Re-member me Jesus

Word association game:  What does the word dismember bring to your mind?
Perhaps gory images of limbs being torn off in war. . . accidents where digits are severed and have to be reattached? Nothing pleasant to be sure!

This morning two things come to mind when I think of the root word "member."  They are tied to our human brokenness and sin, pain and struggle.

Picture it, Golgotha,  First Century. .  . the thief on the cross next to Jesus said, "Remember me when you come into your kingdom."  He saw that this person next to him, this innocent lamb, was something special.  He made his confession of faith by asking for forgiveness. . .  Remember me, he said.  Think of me.  Don't forget me.  Re-member . . . Re-member me.  Put me back together.  Make me whole again when you come into your kingdom.  Only you, Lord Christ, can do this for me.  Only you, Lord Christ, even want to.


Earlier that week as he gathered his closest friends together for a final meal together, Jesus said, "Do this in remembrance of me. . ." Re-membrance.   Eat and drink. . . body and blood. . . here I am for you. . . I love you. . .  take me into your body, heart and soul. . . I'm here for you, let me in, I am broken so you don't have to be.  

How do we remember Jesus each day?  How does Jesus re-member us this day and always?
Have a blessed day and remember that Jesus re-members you in ways that you can never fully comprehend.  Thanks be to God!

Image credit: He Qi "Crucifixion"

No comments:

Post a Comment