Friday, July 15, 2011

Life

When all is said and done in this life if you look around and have a few friends that will be there for you then you are truly blessed.  Today, my dear mother-in-law's best friends had the most beautiful party for her birthday. It was more than a birthday party. . . it was a celebration of her life.  She is battling breast cancer; like so many before her she is fighting each and every day to beat that damn-out-of-control-killer-cell-disease.  And she is doing it!  With grace and style and dignity and surrounded by people who love her!

I have walked with people in my congregation who have battled cancer. . . I have had them collapse in my lap with the news (literally) and I have held them like they were my own because they are my own.  I have cried with them and urged them to fight.  I have prayed at the American Cancer Society's Relay for Life for about 5 years nows (not sure how I got that distinct honor for so long).  Every year I was able to pray in that emotionally charged atmosphere with no problem.  It's not that I didn't feel anything, it's just that this year it was even more personal than ever!  I choked through it, voice cracked, long pauses, but I did it.  

So today when I saw her at her surprise life party she wrapped her arms around my neck as I stooped down to hug her (she's small compared to me) and I couldn't let go!  The floodgates opened and the tears rushed out.  I guess I was holding it in all this time.  She is so important to me, to all of us- she's the glue that keeps the family together.  She is also amazing is beating this thing. . . and I can see many reasons why. . . she is surrounded by her family, her friends, her neighbors who are all praying for her and keeping tabs on her.  The sea of pink today was overwhelming- we were all instructed to wear pink in her honor.  She will have surgery next Wednesday and so in solidarity with her we are all wearing our pink bracelets.  What else can we do?  I think that's just what she needs.



Someone is mourning the loss of life today even as we are encouraging it!  Someone is grieving deeply that breath has gone out of a precious body, even as our lungs are filled with air that provide laughter.  Life is precious. . . we need each other.  .  . none of the stuff we have accumulated in our lifetime will ever replace the love we give and get from one another.  We need to grasp it, cling to it, run after it if we have to. . . we can't let it pass us by. . .

Here's to you Janice, my friend, my second mom, my mother-in-law. . . and here is to those most amazing friends of yours who love you so much that they wanted to make sure you knew how special you are to everyone!  Here's to Jesus who walks with us, grants us faith and strength and courage for the journey and gives us life, life abundant, vibrant, precious life!  You are in our prayers dear one.

2 comments:

  1. Once you "get it" that the people and places of today may not be with you tomorrow your attitude of gratitude grows exponentially. We simply can't assume that we will have another day to tell the other that we love them. "Shower the people you love with love...." And then there are the folks that you may not necessarily "like" for some reason or another. You are called to love and serve them as well. Christ walks in our midst empowering us to radiate love and hope and joy in spite of the way that fear or prejudice (sin)may restrict our freedom to love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The best things in life aren't things.

    ReplyDelete