Friday, March 16, 2012

Have I Not Reminded You About the Sabbath?

Practice what you preach, lady!  These are the words that run through my mind this morning as I think of how many times I have advocated to all of you to take a sabbath!  Rest!  Relax!  Enjoy your life!

Or you might end up sick. Or at the very least worn out, burned out, and no good to yourself or others.

I could see it coming a mile away, but truly there was nothing I could do about it!  Our son and daughter were both in the High School Musical (State Fair by Rodgers and Hammerstein, which by the way was totally AMAZING- of course I might be a bit biased) and she made it to the Regional Spelling Bee 3.5 hours away in the midst of three performances and 4 late night rehearsals.  So when it was all over, guess what happened?  She got sick- Flu and Strep.  And then I got sick- just the flu for me, but that was plenty to slow me down.  There simply was no time to rest in between daily Track and Field practices, Wednesday evening Lent services, council meetings, other meetings, cooking, cleaning, and walking the dog!  So I didn't do what I always tell you to do- rest!  I simply didn't have time.

Our bodies can only handle so much you know.  Eventually they will stop us in our tracks and nothing that has to be done CAN be done because our bodies rebel against us in order to slow us down!  It's as if our physical self says to us "If you don't stop, I will make you stop!"  And did it ever!  So in the past few days I have had time to sleep, read, pray, and ponder.  It's no fun being sick but it does afford a certain luxury of time that otherwise I would not take.

Now I know that I have people around me who try to slow me down. . . and in general I would not label myself as stubborn, but when it comes to being busy, or doing too much, well let's just say I have a hard time listening to the good advice to take it easy.  I will fill every moment with something to do.  I will complain of being bored if there is nothing to keep me busy.  I will create something to do if there is a lull in the action!  And when things get out of control and I refuse to stop the madness then God gently (or violently in the case of the influenza virus) says to me, "Have I not reminded you about the Sabbath?" 
Have I not reminded you to rest? Slow down? Chill out?

Ummm. . . Yes, Lord.  I hear you.  And for now I will listen, probably because I have to, but I will try harder to take time to relax and "just be."  In the meantime, thanks for always being with me Lord, for loving me through sickness and health.  I appreciate and cherish your love and care.  I will try to do better, really. . . but right now the dog needs a walk.


1 comment:

  1. God wants me to convey you that the last paragraph is the Best prayer ever!

    ReplyDelete