Monday, December 15, 2014

Encourage One Another



I have to admit it in order to be fair: In gym class I was usually the one doing the picking when it came to choosing teams. I can't actually think of a time when I was the last one picked, but I have compassion for those who are. It hurts my heart when the last one picked feels a blow to their psyche- you can see it on their face, "Last picked again? Left behind again?"  I'd rather be the last one picked if it means that someone is going to be upset because they are- truth is I don't care all that much. I know my gifts and I'm confident in my abilities. I can make lemonade out of lemons most days, so being the last one chosen just means a slight delay getting started.

The thing is, I've been on many, many teams in my life. I've been on basketball teams, volleyball teams, track teams, soccer teams, coached track teams and swim teams and volleyball team, worked on committees and task forces, and the biggest team of all--- the local church! In most cases I didn't get to pick to the players- either they were there already, they volunteered to help, or someone else picked them. I'm fine with all of those options. I'm thrilled that folks want to use their gifts and talents for the team.

But here's the thing: If you want to be on a team, you have to play like a team, and that means encouraging one another rather than tearing each other down or insisting on your own way. 

There's way too much insisting on our own way in the world!

There's way too much insisting on our own way in the church!

In both cases, in the world and in the church, we are in this together. One teammate doesn't have all the answers; one teammate doesn't have all the gifts. (Romans 12:1-8) We are stronger together than we are separate or in factions. We have no time to waste or be complacent, as we are reminded in this Advent season. Christ is returning and we know not the day nor the hour. We are called to work as a team so that all might know the love and peace of Christ. Unfortunately, our sinfulness can get in the way of that goal. We repent of that and vow to do better.

Take a look at St. Paul's advice to the Thessalonians, from the Message (1Th 5:1-13)
1-3 I don’t think, friends, that I need to deal with the question of when all this is going to happen. You know as well as I that the day of the Master’s coming can’t be posted on our calendars. He won’t call ahead and make an appointment any more than a burglar would. About the time everybody’s walking around complacently, congratulating each other—“We’ve sure got it made! Now we can take it easy!”—suddenly everything will fall apart. It’s going to come as suddenly and inescapably as birth pangs to a pregnant woman.
4-8 But friends, you’re not in the dark, so how could you be taken off guard by any of this? You’re sons of Light, daughters of Day. We live under wide open skies and know where we stand. So let’s not sleepwalk through life like those others. Let’s keep our eyes open and be smart. People sleep at night and get drunk at night. But not us! Since we’re creatures of Day, let’s act like it. Walk out into the daylight sober, dressed up in faith, love, and the hope of salvation.
9-11 God didn’t set us up for an angry rejection but for salvation by our Master, Jesus Christ. He died for us, a death that triggered life. Whether we’re awake with the living or asleep with the dead, we’re alive with him! So speak encouraging words to one another. Build up hope so you’ll all be together in this, no one left out, no one left behind. I know you’re already doing this; just keep on doing it.
The good news for us is that Christ is on our team. He's the captain of the team. He's the playmaker! And He chose us to play! We may not have chosen all the other teammates on the team had it been up to us, but it wasn't! Christ did the choosing, and that's good enough for me. (John 15:16) Let's take Paul's advice and build one another up! Let's focus on our own part of the game and cheer on our teammates in the process. Every person is a beloved child of God and deserves our deepest honor and respect. When we play the "game" like this we show the world the very nature of our Loving God. 

Have a blessed Advent and Christmas!
P. Amy+

No comments:

Post a Comment