Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Malawi or Bust!

Dear Friends,

Many of you already know that later this month I will be going on a mission trip (ulendo) to Malawi, East Africa. This trip has been over a year and a half in the making. I am excited about this for many reasons, first and foremost to serve our brothers and sisters in Christ in Malawi who are in need of the basics that we take for granted. Secondly, that my mother who is 70 years old will be making her first mission trip as well. I am so proud of her courage and grace as she prepares for this journey and I look forward to the time we will spend together. Thirdly, two others from my congregation have also discerned God's call to "Go and Make Disciples" across the world.


Malawi is called the warm heart of Africa because the people there are known to be very friendly. I found this out when I met the director of Kenyenyeva Ministries, Mrs. Yamikani Chikoti, who visited the United States and spoke at our church about the orphan care project that we are in partnership. We will be guided by Yami and her husband, Shadreck when we arrive in the country on August 1st. They will be our translators as well as those who will keep us from making any serious social faux pas. The cultures are quite different as we have been learning about for the past year. 

My intent is to post here some information about Malawi, the orphans that are served at the project, as well as my reflections on the journey. 

Here's a phrase for you in chichewa, the native language of Malawi:
Moni muli bwanji? (Hi, how are you?)
Ndili bwino. Kaya inu? (I am fine. How are you?)
Ndili bwino. Zikomo. (Fine. Thank you.)
Zikomo. (Thank you, or you're welcome.)

That's all for today! Zikomo, ndapita. Tidzaonana. (I'll see you again.)




No comments:

Post a Comment