Tuesday, September 3, 2013




This week's sermon from Luther comes from the Day of St. John the Evangelist. The text is John 21: 19- 24. 

Luther's words:
When Christ asked Peter three times whether he loved him, and Peter answered three times, “Yea, Lord; thou knowest that I love thee,” he commended unto him three times his sheep and said: “Feed my sheep.” Immediately afterwards he announced to Peter his death, and says: “Verily, verily, I say unto thee, When thou wast young, thou girdest thyself, and walkedst whither thou wouldest; but when thou shalt be old, thou shalt stretch forth thy hands, and another shall gird thee, and carry thee whither thou wouldest not.” Closely joined to this is to-day’s Gospel: “Follow thou me,” as if to say: Since this is to be your lot, ponder it well and follow thou me and yield willingly to death. It is evident enough that this following signifies his death, and all the disciples understood it so, and it is a lucid and easy Gospel. 

How is following Jesus a following unto death?
What is put to death in our baptism and in our obedience to Christ?
Does it feel like a death? Or is it more like something is coming alive in you?

1 comment:

  1. I have really enjoyed sitting with this throughout the week. I an amazed at what all is packed into 5 verses. For me, the third section, entitled The spiritual or mysterious interpretation, was so cool. The explanation of faith, and the "disciple whom Jesus loved" vs. works and St. Peter gives me so much comfort. Anyone who knows me would tell you that I am a hugger...the imagery of leaning back on the breast of Christ is so compelling. Paragraph 35 last sentence talks of the safety and security, and comfort of leaning on him as a gift of God, available to all Christian believers. How often do I miss that opportunity?

    Then PP 38 is neat too...talking about the breast of all animal sacrifices being saved for the priest...reminding us priests are all believers. 1 Peter 2:9...how often do we think we don't "know enough" to teach or lead, or share in Sunday school. According to St Peter - we do. (although reading my ramblings, one may wonder :)

    PP 42...Judas Iscariot explanation...wakes me up too. Last sentence is powerful.

    Thank you Pr. Amy for your life of love and works. God uses you to stimulate our hearts and minds through ML and God's Word. You are appreciated and loved :)

    ReplyDelete