Friday, November 30, 2012

Blue Jeans= Relax!

This past Wednesday during our first Midweek Advent Service of the season I led worship in blue jeans. Levis to be exact. It's not about the blue jeans, really, its about being relaxed I think.

Just the day before I went to Physical Therapy for the first time in my life, though in college I spent every day in the Athletic Training room. The presenting problem? I threw my sacroiliac out AGAIN! I truly think that this happens when I get so frenzied, so busy, so stressed with all the balls I have in the air that something in my body says, "No more! Slow down or I WILL slow you down." Then I hobble around in excruciating pain for six days, icing, resting, taking the requisite pain relievers, only to start up again when I am mobile. So here I was lying on the PT's exam table as she is trying to get a reflex from my foot or ankle (I don't know what she was doing!) and she kept saying, "Relax. Relax. Relax!" Apparently I wouldn't give her what she wanted which was a relaxed foot. Then she said, "You need to learn to relax." To which I quipped, "Yes, I've been told that." We both chuckled.

So in act of relaxation (not defiance mind you) I wore a sweater and blue jeans to worship for the very first time in over 10 years! 15 if you count seminary. Know what I think? I think everyone else was a bit more relaxed as well. We had a lovely service of compline, we breathed deeply and exhaled out all of the stress together, and it was a beautiful quiet, peace-filled evening of worship.


So what do you think? What means relaxation to you? Is it a particular way of dressing? Is it music? Is it ___________? And further, do you think that worship ought to be more relaxed, or at least occasionally? Or does that bother you?

Have a very relaxing Friday, even if you are working, and a blessed first Sunday of Advent!

acl


No comments:

Post a Comment