Wednesday, October 10, 2012

A Letter to Rose


A Letter to my goddaughter...

October 9, 2012

My Dearest Rose,

Before time gets away from me I want to write to you and reflect on your baptism. It is still fresh in my mind since it just happened two days ago on October 7th. It was a beautiful sunny day, a little chilly, but a perfect fall day. Everyone from the family gathered at the church in Monroeville where your aunt Amy (yep, t hat’s me) is the pastor. All of you sat in the front row of the church and another family filled the front row on the other side of the aisle as their baby was being baptized too. Your daddy looked so nice with a tie on that day! He was ready for his baptism as well. It is so neat that the two of your share the same baptismal anniversary. Every year the two of you can remember your special day together!

The time came for your baptism. Your cousin Noah was the acolyte that day, and so he poured the water into the font as I read the prayer that described how God used water to bring life and redemption to the world. First I baptized baby Sydney. She had lots of dark curly hair and I soaked her. She slept right through it! Then it was your turn. Uncle Jeff took you in his arms and held you over the font and I poured the water out of a seashell onto your head, “In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit. Amen.” You stared at me the whole time, never took your eyes off of me! It was like you were thinking to yourself, “This is the most amazing and wonderful thing I have every seen so far!” It was really precious. When I was done with the water, I kissed you on the forehead. I have NEVER done that to any other baby I’ve baptized. Ever. Of course, you are very special to me, my niece, my goddaughter.


Then I did the same for your daddy, he had water running down his face when it was all over. I guess I got a little wild with the water! 

After that we moved forward to the altar as your cousin Anna sang the first verse of the baptismal hymn from the balcony. “I was there to hear your borning cry. I’ll be there when you are old. I rejoiced the day you were baptized, to see your life unfold.” Uncle Jeff was holding you and you held my index finger tightly in your little hand and wouldn’t let go. I sang the rest of the verse to you as the congregation joined in singing too. Mommy was almost in tears she loves you so much!

After the service we ate cake and went back to our house to eat and play with you and visit with one another. It was a wonderful day. A wonder-full day indeed! God is good and he loves you. I love you. We all love you, Rosebud!

Your loving godmother,

Aunt Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment