Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Power Outage

This note came to me from one of my best friends, Susan H., after having been without electricity due to summer thunderstorms this past week:


Power outage - No electricity. I don't know about you but I am not exactly sure what to do with myself when the power is out. I try to read and relax with a day free from normal life duties but for whatever reason I seem to be full of nervous energy. I am unfocused,
unorganized and generally unproductive when the power is out. Then, without notice, wham! The power is on and I feel energized, restored, life is again full of possibilities. This scenario parallels to my life and attitude when I get away from the Word, worship and prayer. It is always so renewing when I am again made aware of His presence and power in my life. Thank God! The power is on! 

How about you?  Do you feel that holy tension inside of you when you (for whatever reason) find yourself away from the power source of God's mercy and love?  Prayer and worship have a calming effect on us. . . powerful calming endorphins are created in our brains when we are plugged into God's love, just like snuggling close to the father's chest and receiving comfort and care.  When do you find yourself most anxious in life?  Examine your prayer practices during those moments. . . are you engaged or distant?  

Take some time to plug in each day!  

Thanks Susan for this metaphor for our spirit!


2 comments:

  1. THERE IS POWER IN THE BLOOD

    Would you be free from the burden of sin?
    There’s power in the blood, power in the blood;
    Would you o’er evil a victory win?
    There’s wonderful power in the blood.

    Refrain

    There is power, power, wonder working power
    In the blood of the Lamb;
    There is power, power, wonder working power
    In the precious blood of the Lamb.

    Would you be free from your passion and pride?
    There’s power in the blood, power in the blood;
    Come for a cleansing to Calvary’s tide;
    There’s wonderful power in the blood.

    Refrain

    Would you be whiter, much whiter than snow?
    There’s power in the blood, power in the blood;
    Sin stains are lost in its life giving flow.
    There’s wonderful power in the blood.

    Refrain

    Would you do service for Jesus your King?
    There’s power in the blood, power in the blood;
    Would you live daily His praises to sing?
    There’s wonderful power in the blood.

    Words & Music: Lew­is E. Jones, 1899 (MI­DI, score). Jones wrote this song at a camp meet­ing at Mount­ain Lake Park, Mar­y­land.

    stuffyouadore.blogspot.com

    I have S.A.D. (Seasonal Affect Disorder)
    And truly need sun--
    and yes as a Christian I often discern it is not the Sun I am lacking but the SON I need for refreshing my soul.

    Like the power outage concept-- we had a storm here in Montana and it was out for 6 hours last week-- often my outages last much longer than that.

    Have a nice day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment! It's tough for me too in the winter months when the sun isn't out very long each day and some days not at all. . . in those times I, too, rely heavily upon the Son! God bless you in Montana, such a beautiful state! Keep the faith!

    ReplyDelete