Thursday, January 6, 2011

Epiphany

"Arise your Light has come!  The Spirit's call obey. Show forth the glory of your God which shines on you today." says the hymn by Brian Wren.

It is Epiphany today!  The light that shines in the darkness and the darkness cannot overcome it is shining on you and me.  Not just today, but everyday-- especially the dark days when we need more light!

Jesus Christ is our greatest gift, our greatest treasure!  Nothing can compare to him; not gold, not expensive perfumes, nothing!  We have so much and yet our greatest gift is the newborn King of kings.  Through him God has made himself known to us in a way that is beyond our wildest imagination!  Amidst the suffering and pain of human life comes the Christ-child, breaking in to meet us, to comfort us, to walk with us and to sacrifice his own life so that we might have a new life-- richer and fuller than we could have ever imagined!!  

There is a question on the REVEAL survey (Willowcreek) that asks the respondent to rate their agreement with this statement:  I will give up everything that is important in my life for Jesus.  Now that is certainly a loaded question, isn't it?  It starts a person wondering, "would I?"  Would I give up my job, the security it affords?  Would I give up my home or car or property?  Would I give up my freedom?  

As hard as it is to think about. . . and it is hard to be sure. . . Jesus asks us to be willing to give up everything that is important in order to follow him.  Maybe we aren't ready for that just yet!  Maybe we are moving toward a radical giving up. . . maybe you are there already (some are!)  But to even ponder that is to begin to listen to the Spirit that calls us to obey, as the hymn suggests.  

Jesus said, "Anyone who wants to save their life will lose it; and anyone who is willing to give up their life will find it.  Take up your cross and follow me."  Follow me.  I will never leave you alone, he promises.  The wise men followed that star to find him, they gave precious gifts-- we don't know if their lives were changed by that meeting but we do know that they took a definite risk to see the baby.  Follow a star, follow a path, follow the Christ. . . the Spirit is calling us to obey, to risk, and to bask in the light of Christ Jesus our Lord, our greatest TREASURE.  

No comments:

Post a Comment